There are some updates to the Nordic Ultratune grind menu.
With the addition of the new Mantec grinding machine, and also as a result of collaboration with serviceman Stefano Vuerich of Val di Fiemme, Italy, the grind menu has been updated with 4 new offerings.
I've been working with team Slovenia at World Cup events since 2005. Through these channels I first became familiar with the quality of the base structures produced by the Mantec equipment. It was Gianaluca Marcolini who suggested that I get in touch with Stefano Vuerich, the leading World Cup ski serviceman who grinds a big percentage of all the skis on the World Cup circuit.
Since late winter Stefano and I have been working to get the new Mantec Ski Numericontrol 140 arranged for Nordic Ultratune. The machine went in last week, and along with the machine are some of the successful World Cup grinds from Europe.
Here's a brief summary of the changes:
Updated World Cup Structures:
- D5 - universal layered cross structure; typically 0C to -5C
- i5 - angle-biased structure for medium conditions, typically -2C to -10C
- S2 - fine, symmetrical pattern for cold conditions; typically -5C to -20C
- M1D - warm, wet, transformed conditions. Skate or classic klister grind.
Linear Structures from Ultratune will remain unchanged:
- LJ03 - linear grind for temperatures near 0C.
- MVL - general purpose linear grind for classic skis, finer than LJ03
- XC02 - for cold & dry snow; linear grind with a secondary polishing stage
- XC01 - for extreme cold conditions; linear grind with a secondary overgrind
The grinds that have been added to the menu are proven structures that are fast and also very versatile. Some of the new World Cup structures are good on classic skis as well as skate skis. These structures are all grinds that I've used and tested on the World Cup, and the performance data and race results attest to their quality.
Download a workorder form, and send some skis! Racing starts in less than a month, and with the SuperTour schedule featured in the early part of the season, there's no time to waste.